Hi,
Yeah, I definitely recommend holding the chord when winding it back up. If you let it wind too fast there is a chanse you can accidently break the cable. Fortunately, I read some online reviews about this device before purchasing it, and I read someone stating basically the same thing you are experiencing. They had it a couple of days and the cable broke. Most of that is just not being careful when winding it back into the unit. Otherwise it is a pretty nice controller for the price.

Che wrote:
I bought one of these last year, and it works great, only problem is it has a bad connnection where the extendable cable meets the body. This is probably due to me letting it snap back in place when I wound it up, so I would recommend holding one end while you press the wind button to avoid a similar issue. You can't beat this controller for the price, and lots of rail racers bought one just to play rr with.
later,
che