From: "Thomas Ward" <thomasward1...@gmail.com>
Cc: <gamers@audyssey.org>
Sent: Wednesday, January 21, 2009 7:27 PM
Subject: [Audyssey] Philips SGC-2909 Review.

Phillips SGC-2909 Review

by Thomas Ward

Jan. 21, 2009

Recently there has been a lot of talk about the new Phillips SGC-2909 game
pad sold in many retail stores across the U.S.A. It sells on average for
approximately $15.00 USD. As an owner of an SGC-2909 game pad myself I can
say it is a fair price for this handy little game controller. So why all
the talk?
When you remove the SGC-2909 out of the packaging you will quickly
discover it has a very intuitive design and is quite comfortable to hold
for a long period of time. The device is 6 inches wide, four inches long,
and has two handles on the bottom for holding the device. Each handle has
rubber hand-grips that keeps the device from sliding around in your hand
and also adds comfort in its use.
In addition to its comfort value the SGC-2909 has a very nice layout of
your basic game controls. Starting on the top-left corner you have a four
direction POV controller. For games that support POV hat this control
allows you to change the direction the player is looking or aiming in most
modern 3D FPS style games. To the right of the POV controller is a circle
of four buttons. Starting from the top and moving clockwise they are
escape, mouse, analog, and select. On the right-hand side of the SGC-2909
we have a circle of action buttons. Starting from the top and moving
clockwise we have button 1, button 2, button 3, and button 4.  In most
games these would be fire controls, run, jump, and other action controls.
In the center of the SGC-2909, below the analog button, there is two
joysticks labeled A and B. The A joystick moves your character around in
the game world while the optional B joystick can perform special aiming
adjustments etc. Finally, on the front of the controller is four
additional buttons labeled 5, 6, 7, and 8. While these can be customized
to perform any game action you want I find these make great fire controls
as they are easy to reach and squeeze.
Perhaps one of my favorite features of the SGC-2909 is the retractable USB
cable that comes with the device. When you want to play a game simply pull
it out, plug it in a free USB port, and start playing. When you are
finished there is a little switch on the front of the controller which
allows you to wind the chord back up inside the unit for easy storage.  If
you do a lot of traveling or just want to store it without the chord in
your way you can retract the chord so that only three inches or so is
sticking out of the unit at any given time. This is by far my favorite
feature of the unit since I don't always keep my controller attached to a
PC, and prefer to store them in a desk drawer or laptop carrying case when
not in use.
If everything I have said is not enough reasons to purchase a Phillips
SGC-2909 the price is certainly right. For $15.00 to $16.00 you get a
rather handy game pad that seams to work well with every game I've tried
it with to date. So far I've tried Troopenum, Rail Racer, Mysteries of the
Ancients, Shades of Doom, Puppy 1, and have encountered no serious
compatibility issues.  I think if you are looking for an inexpensive,
intuitive, handy game pad the Phillips SGC-2909 is a good deal. Other game
controllers such as the Logetec Rumble Pad costs approximately $30 to $40,
and the only feature it has over the Phillips SGC-2909 is force feedback
support. If you are willing to do without force feedback support the
SGC-2909 could be right for you.

list,