Cc: <gamers@audyssey.org>
Sent: Wednesday, January 21, 2009 7:27 PM
Subject: [Audyssey] Philips SGC-2909 Review.

Phillips SGC-2909 Review

by Thomas Ward

Jan. 21, 2009

Recently there has been a lot of talk about the new Phillips SGC-2909 game pad sold in many retail stores across the U.S.A. It sells on average for approximately $15.00 USD. As an owner of an SGC-2909 game pad myself I can say it is a fair price for this handy little game controller. So why all the talk? When you remove the SGC-2909 out of the packaging you will quickly discover it has a very intuitive design and is quite comfortable to hold for a long period of time. The device is 6 inches wide, four inches long, and has two handles on the bottom for holding the device. Each handle has rubber hand-grips that keeps the device from sliding around in your hand and also adds comfort in its use. In addition to its comfort value the SGC-2909 has a very nice layout of your basic game controls. Starting on the top-left corner you have a four direction POV controller. For games that support POV hat this control allows you to change the direction the player is looking or aiming in most modern 3D FPS style games. To the right of the POV controller is a circle of four buttons. Starting from the top and moving clockwise they are escape, mouse, analog, and select. On the right-hand side of the SGC-2909 we have a circle of action buttons. Starting from the top and moving clockwise we have button 1, button 2, button 3, and button 4. In most games these would be fire controls, run, jump, and other action controls. In the center of the SGC-2909, below the analog button, there is two joysticks labeled A and B. The A joystick moves your character around in the game world while the optional B joystick can perform special aiming adjustments etc. Finally, on the front of the controller is four additional buttons labeled 5, 6, 7, and 8. While these can be customized to perform any game action you want I find these make great fire controls as they are easy to reach and squeeze. Perhaps one of my favorite features of the SGC-2909 is the retractable USB cable that comes with the device. When you want to play a game simply pull it out, plug it in a free USB port, and start playing. When you are finished there is a little switch on the front of the controller which allows you to wind the chord back up inside the unit for easy storage. If you do a lot of traveling or just want to store it without the chord in your way you can retract the chord so that only three inches or so is sticking out of the unit at any given time. This is by far my favorite feature of the unit since I don't always keep my controller attached to a PC, and prefer to store them in a desk drawer or laptop carrying case when not in use. If everything I have said is not enough reasons to purchase a Phillips SGC-2909 the price is certainly right. For $15.00 to $16.00 you get a rather handy game pad that seams to work well with every game I've tried it with to date. So far I've tried Troopenum, Rail Racer, Mysteries of the Ancients, Shades of Doom, Puppy 1, and have encountered no serious compatibility issues. I think if you are looking for an inexpensive, intuitive, handy game pad the Phillips SGC-2909 is a good deal. Other game controllers such as the Logetec Rumble Pad costs approximately $30 to $40, and the only feature it has over the Phillips SGC-2909 is force feedback support. If you are willing to do without force feedback support the SGC-2909 could be right for you.