Hi Jim,
I'm not sure of the exact version of Windows XP you have, but this is what I have personally noticed. If you take Windows XP, with SP2 already installed, and don't put a lot of other third-party applications on it it will run great for a long time. The second you begin adding all kinds of third-party apps like anti-virus programs, office sweits, games, etc there is a risk you will break something. For example, MS Sapi 5. I can't tell you how many times if I left Sapi alone, the stock sapi voices that come with XP/Vista, it never breaks. If I install some third-party voice, like Cepstral voices, remove them my Sapi 5 will wind up broken, and then I have to fix it. That has happened to me a couple of times, and I've learned there are some voices if you install them, don't remove them, or Sapi will end up busted afterward. So I do agree with you to a point that you must be careful what you add, and what updates you install. On the other hand some updates such as .NET 2.0 and .NET 3.0 are proven, stable, reliable technologies that power many new applications for XP, Vista, and Windows 7. Since Windows Vista the .NET Framework is a core component of the Windows OS, and a lot of programs for Windows Vista and Windows 7 are built using the .NET Framework. Even the XBox 360 uses the .NET Framework as well as the latest Windows Mobile releases. My point being is if you are afraid of installing the .NET Framework you are likely to miss out on any new games, word processors, etc that are designed for .NET enabled computers. I know you love racing, and USA Raceway, a game you might be interested in, just happens to use .NET Framework 3.5 and DirectX 9.0C (June 2008.)
Smile.

Jim Kitchen wrote:

Hi Thomas,

Thank you for sharing with me what works for you on your computers.

You know I have been running one computer or another since 1980. I have never had a virus, never had a hard drive crash, never had to redo a hard drive, I almost never have to reboot either of the computers that I am running currently and the only time that I have had to use the XP roll back feature has been after I have up dated a windows component. So I may not run my computers the same way that you do, but what I do seems to work pretty darn well for me.

Thanks again.

BFN

    Jim

C. E. O. Kitchen's Inc.