Hey,

I haven't tried the beta yet, but on the torches:
I personally think having torches automatically light is helpful in
several ways; since they cannot be used at your disgression their
placement is a clue to the location of a dark area.  You can be pretty
sure that it's close to where you got the torch.  If there isn't any
sound indicating a dark area (or any special announcement when viewing
the map) then I think being able to use torches later is more of a
frustration as you'd have to guess which areas are dark.  Say you ran
back and forth across a room not finding anything interesting. You
assume it's dark and light your torch, only to discover you had missed
a ladder. You continue through the level, letting the torch burn out
until you come across a room with lots fo treasure but fwoof! the
torch goes out and all the treasure disappears.  Speaking of items,
I'm not sure I like the idea of hitting enter near an item to pick it
up.  From the demos and trailers (as well as past iterations of the
game) it doesn't seem like you'd ever want to skip or avoid an object.
 It sounds to me like lots more "complexity" has been added to the
game, which in the end doesn't achieve anything but a multitude of
additional keypresses.

James