Hi Aaron,
You don't have to wait for the friendly tanks to appear to cross one of the bridges to the road. That is why I said head straight for one of the bridges when entering sector 5, cross it, go up the road a ways drop a few mines, and come back accross the bridge to take care of the guys in the woods. Then, wait for your friendly tanks to show up and lead them to safety.
HTH