Hi Kevin,
Well, it isn't quite that simple, but it is fairly difficult to keep a determine cracker from cracking a software product. Even assuming a developer makes no mistakes, uses the best known antipiracy security, etc that is no insurence against piracy. The main reason is that if someone can create a piece of software with an assembler/compiler someone else can disassemble that product, edit it at the assembly level, reassemble it, and pass off the cracked version without much effort. I am no expert in assembly myself, but I do know the basics and know how most cracking is done.