On charging for a replacement key, I can see the developer's point of vies. They have to take their time that could be spent on further development and programming of games to send gamers a replacement key, so why should we not pay for it? If you buy something from a store, and then you lose the key that allows it to operate, you're gonna have to buy another one. Why shouldn't games be the same way? When you buy games, it is generally stated that you should store a copy of your unlocking information in a safe place, away from the computer for future reference. If you don't, and then you need the key again, guess whose fault it is not? The developer's. So, pay for a new key. Plus, although it may not be a good way to prevent piracy, at least they do get something for the key, so the pirate doesn't get the game for absolutely nothing.

---
Gun control only controls the guns of lawful citizens while placing them in control of the unlawful ones. ----- Original Message ----- From: "Trouble" <troub...@columbus.rr.com>
To: "Gamers Discussion list" <gamers@audyssey.org>
Sent: Sunday, April 05, 2009 6:10 AM
Subject: Re: [Audyssey] LWorks says goodbye to machine based licensing, and hello to a new Judgment day

What is even more ridiculous about renew those keys, is that some want to charge for that replacement. I can see putting up some cash for upgrade, but not key. Those that want it for the key are just plain greedy. If they need cash that bad, bring out another game! A developer shouldn't have to use the most expensive code locker . Just to make it hard. yes, it will be cracked. You can't find any program on the web that isn't cracked. your customer base is what stands behind you. Those that crack can't even ask for help or notify of bugs, because then they get found out.
If they want support for the game, and more they will pay.

At 11:10 PM 4/4/2009, you wrote:
Hi Liam,
Personally speaking, I think this is really goodnews. While I know that in theory machine specific keys are more secure, it does crack down on casual piracy, etc it also is a hastle for developer and customer alike. For a small one/two man operation fulfilling those frequent key replacements can be a serious annoyence. For customers that legally paid for the product having to wait a week or more for a new key gets to be frustrating, annoying, and down right sucks. I've got a couple of games right now on my computer that needs new keys, because I just upgraded the motherboard in my computer a month or so back. I'm personally sick of dealing with machine specific keys forreasons just exactly like that. I want to upgrade my system and then have to get a new key for half my software. That's rediculous.

Liam Erven wrote:
> One of the major complaints that gamers have had is that all of LWork's
> games use a machine-based licensing system.  This system was originally
> written to discourage piracy. In theory, it was a great system, but > leaves
> a lot to be desired when it comes to ease of registration.  So I'm
> announcing that today, all future titles from LWorks will use a > user-based > licensing system. My plan is to release an updated version of Judgment > day
> some time this month that will use this user-based system.  There
will be no
> more machine-based codes, and no need to constantly email support for > new
> codes.  I'm hoping that this will help gamers overall who don't
want to have
> to wait to get replacement keys.  there will also be a few other small
> features that will be in the next release, so stay tuned.
> > Liam

Tim
trouble
Verizon FIOS support tech