Hi Charles,
That would be ok to charge if it was an ordinary license key and it was lost, but all too often license keys today are tied to a specific computer and specific hardware. as a result it doesn't matter how well you keep your product keys safe any time you have to change a major piece of hardware, get a new computer, whatever you need to obtain new product keys. Not only is that a major pain in the rear end, but charging for that key replacement is unfair. often times a customer may need a new license key through no fault of his/her own. Here is a personal example of this. Back in February 2007 I went out and purchased the full retail version of Windows Vista Home Premium, upgraded my system, registered it the whole deal. In all I had about $225 wrapped up in the software, and had expected it to last a while. Well, in June of 2007, about 5 months after I purchased Vista, I moved and my computer didn't survive the move. When I hooked it up, tried to boot it, to my surprise the motherboard had died. I had to go out and replace the motherboard, processor and memory which was cheaper than buying a new computer. Well, when I booted the machine Vista began screaming bloody murder that I was pirating the software, and of course Vista's keys are totally hardware specific. I called Microsoft in hopes of getting a new key or registering my current key with the new motherboard. I explained to them exactly what happened, and you want to know what their responce was? They told me that a new license key would cost me $215 to license my legal copy of Vista. That according to the end user license agreement for Vista it is only good for one license, one computer, and since I upgraded the motherboard it counted as a totally new license. In other words my computer died through no fault of my own and I needed to pay $215 to replace the software I already purchased legally 4 or 5 months earlier. Honestly the way Microsoft treats their customers it is no wonder there are cracked copies of Windows XP, vista, and Windows 7 floating around on the internet. After getting screwed like that I absolutely hate, despise, and loath Microsoft. If Linux had all of the audio games etc and stuff I use on Windows I'd tell Microsoft were to go, and it sure ain't heaven.