tom I have done the following.
save a game.
quit the current game session.
at this point if I load that game again then it works.
now however I now exit the program.
on restarting the new program, if I then first create a new game then load a
saved game from the game itself, then it will load.
it will load the game from the menu to as long as I don't quit the program.
One thing that may help is that every other slot which should load nothing,
will  load as if you started a new game, after that every slot will load as if
you have a new game except for the saved game unless that was a new game.
I probably need to check other states but that is the general outline of the
bug.
Another thing I have noticed is when using say the dagger or sword you can only
swing it 5 times after which the game has a 3 second gap betwene swings, and
swinging whilst crouching  is impossible, then again you get 5 quick swings of
sword or dagger before the game does this.