Hi Shaun,
For what it's worth, I have FS2004 and find IYP quite useable with it.
I'm awaiting the results of Michael's experiments as far as FSX
accessibility is concerned, though it doesn't really bother me much
either way.  FS2004 suits me fine.
The only microphone I have is my laptop's built-in variety, and that's
pretty bad.  I want to get another as soon as I can.
Best,
Zack.