Hi Tom.

Well I'm fully in favor of the frequent updates etc which a php script game could give, and I'm glad your stil thinking single player even if the logistics are much easier online, pluss, it'd probably be seen as more reasonable of you to charge for an online game in some way than for a downloadable text rpg, ----- though personally I'd be willing to pay for such a game if it fulfilled my needs.

But being as your also running a business (and to maintain the server costs of the game), either a subscription or account update fee for the game to gain full access would be seen as more reasonable by the public in general, ----- I know the huge amounts of markiting resources the commercial interactive fiction company malinch have to put into selling their games.

Btw, not to quibble over your decision (which I completely understand the logic of), but Angband, the roguelike I mentioned which will hopefully be having full accessibility features added in the future, has taken precisely the opposite approach.

I'm not certain what language the game is written in, but there are certainly several versions (windows mac os), and even source code for self compiling.

When new versions come out, they are symply stuck on the website and people are expected to update. Everything in the game, ---- the thousand or so monsters, the classes, items, and huuuuuuge amount of complex mechanics are contained in a series of text files which are easy to modify (one reason Angband has so many varients developed by other people). There is even a text file containing sound and display options.

Obviously there are some differences, ---- the most notable being that while Angband certainly uses lots of text for a roguelike (one reason why I'm fairly convinced it can be made fully accessible in the first place given some extra warning messages and coordinates), it does have a basically spacial interface with characters moving around a grid based, randomly generated dungeon rather than the environment being described gamebook style.

Stil, in terms of pure mechanics, ---- of which Angband has a truly mind bogling amount, everything is run through text file databases.

this isn't to say your decision is wrong, or to argue in the least, ----- as I said I can fully follow your logic, I just thought it was an interesting contrast, and sinse we're discussing rpgs I thought I'd throw it out for considderation.

Beware the Grue!