Hi Jim,
Smile. Well, it can be like that for every programmer really. thing is we all have our own particular style of programming, naming conventions, etc and when we read someone elses code it throws us off stride so to speak. It makes the developer think like the other person, pick up his or her thought process, which can be difficult when it isn't the way we think or work on a program ourselves. For example, you mentioned you don't use the "option explicit" flag so the VB 6 runtime uses non-typed variables. That's ok for you since you already know what data type you plan to store in that variable, but if someone else were to read your code they might get confused as to the specific data type you were using the variable for. Is it an integer, double, float, all of the above, none of the above, etc. I'd have to read over your program a while to figure out how the variable was being used which would be time consuming. For me I'd find it easier to read someone elses code when I can look at the beginning of the sub and see x, y, and z are all integers. Since I program that way naturally that's one of the first things I look at when looking at someone elses code. I want to know what data the variable is suppose to hold and what exactly it is doing with the data.

Cheers!

Jim Kitchen wrote:
Hi Thomas,

It's a good thing that I do not plan for anyone to take over my projects. When I started learning to program on my Texas Instruments 99 4A, you could only use 1 or 2 letter variables. I for the most part still have the habit of keeping my variable names short, thus they would not mean much to anyone else looking at my code. The only thing that I can say, is that I have never had any trouble getting back into any code that I have written. Oh yeah, I also do not use the VB6 option explicit, thus do not even declare my variables in the beginning of my project.

Guess it's a good thing that I do not work for anyone writing the code or as I said plan for anyone else to ever use the code.

BFN

    Jim