Hi Peter,
Yeah, side-scrollers are easier to navigate, but at the expense of more elaborate level designs. Since side-scrollers are only 2 dimmensional in nature there is only four directions to choose from: left, right, up, and down. As a developer I find that pretty limiting when it comes down to creating new and possibly different level layouts. For example, one common problem I noticed with classic side-scrollers is sooner or later the levels would repete one another. In a game like Super Mario Brothers you would start in an above ground level, then go to an underground level, have an underwater level here and there, and a castle level. Then, the entire sequence would repete over again. After a while the sequence would all be the same, and I found it sort of boring to be playing the same basic levels over and over again. I'm trying not to do this in Mysteries of the Ancients. Although, one game that wasn't afflicted with this problem was Megaman. The developers did a good job on verying each level so that it didn't feel like the same old content being tossed at you over and over again. Each world had different enemies, different traps, and every boss was different. This is where Super Liam shines because it uses the same basic format or formula that Megaman did. As for myself I've been doing lots of research on level layouts, been reading classic side-scroller walkthroughs trying to get ideas for new and interesting levels for the game. Like Megaman I don't want to loop the same level and same content over and over again until the final boss battle. I want each level to be somewhat unique and stand on its own.
Smile.