Ok, I managed to just get into gemstone iv with VipMud. What I had to do
was use firefox to log into my account. When I clicked the go play button,
a page came up saying that if my browser didn't launch using active x to
click here. When I did, firefox brought a file save dialog with my
character's .sal file, ie, grogrond.sal. I then saved it to disc, and
opened it in notepad, and copied the key to the clipboard, and used the host
of prime.gs4.game.play.net and the port of 4900 entered into the host and
port sections in vipMud. Then, I pasted the key from the clipboard and hit
enter. I then typed FE/JAVA and hit enter. And I am now in!
My guess is that you could do the same thing in IE, but you will have to
Anyway, just my findings.
----- Original Message -----
From: "Chad Fenton" <cwfen...@comcast.net>
To: "Gamers Discussion list" <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Sent: Monday, October 19, 2009 4:19 AM
Subject: [Audyssey] Follow-up to Simutronics playing through telnet
I'll experiment wih this later, as I'm surprised the original method I
plsted may not work, but I found alternative instructions from about a
month ago on a Gemstone IV forum regarding playing with a non-supported
Simutronics client. They are similar to what I originally posted, just
looking for a different file with a .sal extension. I've rewritten the
instructions in places for conciseness and clarification.
1. Log in to your Simutronics account at the GS website and go to the "Go
2. Select the character with which you wish to play. Don't log in to the
3. Select either the Wizard or Stormfront as your client.
4. Click the "Go Play!" button. When you do this, your web browser should
hopefully attempt to open a file ending in .sal. Save that file to your
5. Open the saved .sal file in Notepad. The most important lines are the
last three lines, starting with GAMEHOST, GAMEPORT, and KEY.
6. Now go into GMUD or your client of choice. Enter whatever comes after
the '=' in the GAMEHOST line as the "Host" to which you want to connect.
7. Enter the GAMEPORT into your client's field.
8. Connect to the game. The client will connect and then appear to hang.
What it's doing is waiting for your KEY and your front-end choice. We'll
that in the next two steps.
9. Copy whatever comes after the '=' in the KEY line of the .sal file
directly into the MUD client and hit enter. This will send your key to the
it will seem as if there is no response.
10. Now type into your MUD client the following (and then hit enter):
That should connect you to the game. Good luck!
Gamers mailing list __ Gamers@audyssey.org
If you want to leave the list, send E-mail to gamers-unsubscr...@audyssey.org.
You can make changes or update your subscription via the web, at
All messages are archived and can be searched and read at
If you have any questions or concerns regarding the management of the list,
please send E-mail to gamers-ow...@audyssey.org.