Yeah I don't really get that myself if I'm honest. I consider that to be
quite a limiting mentality myself.

-----Original Message-----
From: gamers-boun...@audyssey.org [mailto:gamers-boun...@audyssey.org] On
Behalf Of Thomas Ward
Sent: 02 December 2009 18:49
To: Gamers Discussion list
Subject: Re: [Audyssey] Promotion was:Screen Readers and Games

Hi Darren,

That's all too true. I have talked to some agencies locally about
perhaps promoting my games and they basically said no for that exact
reason. A lot of these local dealers who sell computers with Jaws,
Openbook, etc to BSVI have no interest in promoting my games,  because
they only deal with accessible software for work and professional use of
the computer. Therefore games and other products for entertainment
should be gotten elsewhere. I guess I can understand that, but I've met
a few totally blind computer users that feel the same way.

I'm not sure why, but I remember this one person, perhaps 40 or so,
telling me that the computer was to be used for work not play. He felt
the computer should be used as a tool not a toy, or something to that
effect. I couldn't get his logic why he felt the computer couldn't be
both a work tool and as an entertainment system as well. Whatever the
case we do have that sort of attitude to deal with  because it certainly
isn't helpful in promoting games for the blind.

Darren Harris wrote:
> Hi thomas,
>
> Absolutely true. Also the thing with these types of conventions, is
> that the focus is totally on work and professional uses of the
> computer. They don't seem to hold the attitude that blind people would
> want to play games and that's from within our own community! Indeed
> I've even herd of cases where gaming in the blind community is looked
> down upon can you believe that? So for various reasons this does need
> to get out. Sad but true.

subscription via the web, at
please send E-mail to gamers-ow...@audyssey.org. No virus found in this