Hi Sean.

Tabletop war games would I think be difficult, as you'd need at least as much adaptation as chess would, ---- hence why games like sound rts are so valuable, sinse then the computer can take care of access, ---- and making an accessible program is a lot easier than an accessible table.

On the other hand though, D&d, and any other role play system composed of a game run by a Gm where you play a character in a party only takes having either the rules explained, or access to a rule book (some are available as pdfs), a dice program to role your dice, and something to keep a character sheet on.

Every saturday i play a game of mu8tants and masterminds with a group of friends (none of whome are visually impared), and that works fine, sinse it's just a matter of listening to the gm and saying what my character does.

For a deaf player though, this would probably present as much challenge as war games would for someone visually impared, due to the very heavy emphasis on group communication and the need for all players to listen both to the gm and each other.

I suppose if all members of the group signed or similar it might work, ---- but having interpreted speech the way the war game artical mentioned could be very long winded indeed, ---- especially as you literally have to say what your character does.

Beware the grue!