I am excited at the prospect of this latest installment by Iron Realms.

One of my biggest complaints about the Iron Realms combat style is their
heavy emphasis on potions, herbs, and pipes while engaged in combat. Hit
with a sword stroke that cuts off your ear? Eat this plant. Want an aura of
weapon rebounding? Just tuck your weapon under one arm and smoke one of your
three lit pipes.

As much as I'm not a fan of Raymond Feist's books, though, this mud, at
least as far as combat is concerned, looks to be pretty promising. A player
can learn 5 basic defenses--dodge, duck, jump, parry, and block. Each of
these defenses is good against one of 5 offense types--slash, stab, shoot,
splash, and touch. The purpose of combat is to erode an opponent's endurance
until he is too tired to defend. At that point, you can go in for the kill.

It's also important to note that healing is designed to take place outside
of combat--not in it. There are no herbs to eat or smoke and no kegs of
potion to chug. Incidentally, it's also possible to instantly dispatch
someone who does not properly defend. If you don't dodge that stab, the
lunge to your chest can and will kill you.

One last thing: Iron Realms is currently running a 25% credit sale through
January 15, so you can get a fair number of bonus credits if you're willing
to pay for them. If you don't want to pay, Midkemia Online is offering 6
free lessons to anyone who spends at least ten minutes logged on each day
through the month of January, which is basically like getting a free credit
every day you play.

Ryan