Hi Jim,
One recommendation. If you do decide to buy a new Windows 7 based PC I
would say go for a 32 byt system. While the  64 byt systems are suppose
to run better they also have known backward compatibility issues. So if
you have backward compatibility issues in mind it is safer to pick a 32
byt system running Windows 7 instead of the 64 byt systems.

HTH