laptops do have line in.
its usually combined with the mic jack or in most cases the headphone jack.
the only thing though that I suggest is that you get a splitter and plug a
headphone or speaker or something into one of the ports of either an amp or
something for one of the sources, maybe where its coming from or to the
computer so at  least you can here what you are recording.
you also need some monitoring like in studio recorder because there is no real
way to get the right volumes as these chips run quite hot audio wise and it
depends.
on my amp I have to turn all my volumes to full to get things working but sr
beeps all over the place and you need to adjust the internal volume, for best
quality.
I have a sub with a preamp but yeah thats all you need.
as in way of usb things that would work but you would then have to switch your
input device to that either for windows or the particular program this may
mangle sound, and especially in laptops where unless you have sight assistance
its almost impossible to reinstall say the sound drivers  because you eed to go
to somewhere on the drive or a cd to find them well.
if you want to test this get something thats non critical.
if anything goes wrong, just reformat and the problem will go away.
I must say though i have not had much success with this connection for direct
line in of tapes say.
another option would to get a digital recorder i have a soni ux60.
you do however get outside noise and other things but it may work better for
you rather than fussing round with internal recording though that is much
cleaner.
my recorder has a bit of hiss but its actually better than my first now dead
recorder I got from the same company which is a bit scary  since the first
recorder I got was  higher quality then the other one.