Hi Bryan,
That's right. That's what we call budget equipment. It is inexpensive
semi-professional equipment good enough for a podcast or doing home
recordings, but isn't up to professional recording standards. If you
have ever listened to professional recordings of voice work they tend
to be reallly really good. There is a major difference between a
microphone that costs $500 and a budget microphone that costs maybe
$25 like daylight and dark. There isn't any doubt which is the
superior tool for the job. Unfortunately, most people don't have that
kind of high quality recording equipment just laying around unless
they do it professionally,or have really high standards for equipment.