Hi Thomas,

WhenI first started out with Pb-games and Pb Soundscape I also worked a lot with people who eere using 25, 50 and 75 dollar things, and no matter how good their acting skills were, it took a considerable amount of time to clean up the recordings and the result were seldom completely up to scratch anyway which just made for an impossible situation in the end. So with Blastbay I decided to simply not use recordings made with such gear at all, and go the professional equipment root all the way. I have set up a decent studio here at home that I use frequently in my gaming work and also in other audio productions that I do, and this has proven to be an invaluable asset. This way, I get top knotch audio for all of my newer games and never have to worry about using noise reduction, pop/click removal or any other such techniques.

Kind regards,

Philip Bennefall
To: "Gamers Discussion list" <gamers@audyssey.org>
Sent: Friday, March 19, 2010 12:26 PM
Subject: Re: [Audyssey] Mota and tts

Hi Philip,
That's been my experience as well. Both of the young women who were
originally going to help with MOTA, as far as voice acting goes, had
decent voices and acting skills. The problem was they didn't have
access to professional recording equipment, and I spent a lot of time
trying to filter out background noise, hums, hisses, and crackles out
of the recordings. Good voice talent, but budget recording equipment
for the job. I'm not complaining, but it certainly would have helped
if they had access to professional recording equipment too.
I did, however, pay for the voice talent for Angela Carter and my
sound files came in mint condition. Not a pop, hiss, crackle, or
background hum to be found on the files. They were all 44100 KHZ 16
byt stereo and they sound like they just came off of a cd. Point is
you get what you pay for, and for voice talent you almost always have
to pay something to get that degree of professional quality voice work
done. So I think if I do this at all I'll probably go the voice actor
or actress too.

Hi Phil,

I see your point, however my personal practise so far has been to pay people for their work but demand in return that anyone who does voice work for me
has access to professional recording equipment. This way, I maintain a
consisstant high quality standard in all of my productions, because the
people with whom I have been in contact and have offered to do voice work
for free have certainly been good actors some of them, but most if not all are using budget headset or internal microphones which I do not wish to use in the Blastbay titles. This, I think, is a matter of preference though and
one should of course not exclude the other.

Kind regards,

Philip Bennefall