To: "Gamers Discussion list" <gamers@audyssey.org>
Sent: Friday, March 19, 2010 1:09 PM
Subject: Re: [Audyssey] Mota and tts

Hi Philip,
Been there done that. As you say it doesn't really work. Goldwave and
Soundforge are great tools, but every time you edit a file using the
handy sound filters you might get rid of the background noise you also
lose some sound quality as well. What you end up with sounds almost as
bad as what you started with if not somewhat worse like being too
tinny, muffled, whatever. There really isn't a way to get a
professional recording out of substandard equipment. I know that all
too well.
For example, many on here know in addition to a game developer I'm
also something of a musician. I can play keyboard, guitar, and drums.
Thing is though all of my gear is budget quality stuff. So even though
I have the talent to record my own game music it wouldn't sound as
good as a professional could do. I don't have the right gear for a
professional recording, and I know it. Whenever I record my keyboard
it sounds good from a budget home musician's  point of view, but the
sound faunts sound like crap compared to something a musician with a
keyboard that costs 10 times more than mine. Got the talent, but not
the tools.

Hi Thomas,

WhenI first started out with Pb-games and Pb Soundscape I also worked a lot
with people who eere using 25, 50 and 75 dollar things, and no matter how
good their acting skills were, it took a considerable amount of time to
clean up the recordings and the result were seldom completely up to scratch
anyway which just made for an impossible situation in the end. So with
Blastbay I decided to simply not use recordings made with such gear at all, and go the professional equipment root all the way. I have set up a decent
studio here at home that I use frequently in my gaming work and also in
other audio productions that I do, and this has proven to be an invaluable asset. This way, I get top knotch audio for all of my newer games and never
have to worry about using noise reduction, pop/click removal or any other
such techniques.

Kind regards,

Philip Bennefall