With all the talk of rpgs and text games, I just came upon an absolutely
fantastic example of the power of text to transform a comparatively
uninteresting combat mechanic into something fun.

Sinse the next gamebook from www.arborell.com, a Murder of Crows is due out
very soon, I decided to replay the first in the series, Shards of moonlight
(which has actually had a bit of a rewrite recently).

I just had a combat with two stone statues that was, ---- from a mechanics
point of view, not particularly  interesting.

This isn't the Gm's fault, sinse the Arborell gamebooks involve no internal
programming whatsoever just rolling dice and recording on a character sheet
like Lone wolf or fighting fantasy (though he has introduced tallents and a
crytical hits system into the mix recently).

So, I went through a few rounds of progressively smacking the statues with my
hammer and being clobbered by their swords.

However once I defeat them and turn to section 20, instead of just "and you
won" I get the following:

The Stone Guardians rush your position, their intent obvious as they raise
their swords to attack. In the
darkness you stand your ground, unwilling to take a backward step no matter how
large the opponents you face.
Quickly you ready yourself, taking a tighter hold upon your warhammer. In
concert their weapons fall upon you
and the battle is joined.

Under the power of their blows you falter, but only for a moment. The Guardians
are old, but powerful opponents
nonetheless. Against their assault you fall back then attack again, swinging
your hammer in a wide arc as the
Guardians try and force you from open ground and up against the walls of the
canyon. It is a desperate struggle,
the size of the Guardians an advantage that has you constantly on the
defensive, using all the strength you have
to deflect their enormous blades. They are not however, without weakness of
their own. A single blow from your
hammer has a startling effect upon the leg of one of your foes. The Guardian's
limb shatters in a shower of crystal
dust with the impact and it is then that the tide of the battle turns.

Quickly you take advantage of this weakness, attacking the other and smashing
one of its legs as well. Both
Guardians struggle for their footing as you advance upon them and it is only a
matter of time before they lay as
piles of rubble in the darkness. You do not stop though. The battle is only
over when you are sure that they are
completely destroyed, and you hammer their remains until there is little left
that is recognisable. Only then do
you look to the entrance beyond and consider what it is that these obsidian
warriors guard so ruthlessly.

Fantastic stuff, and a perfect example of how you can have an immersive fight
in text.

While certainly some music would've been nice, ---- the description can
virtually stand alone.

Beware the grue!