Hi Dark,
Ahemmm...One problem with your plan beginner and easy are the same
thing. There is no "easy" difficulty level. Only beginner,
intermediate, advanced, and expert. However, I do take your meaning.
However, as far as a training mode goes that need not necessarily
freeze monsters in place like Shades of Doom. Merely add extra verbal
feedback of what is going on so a new gamer can get the hang of
jumping traps, evading monsters, etc. Kind of like the training levels
in say Tomb Raider Angel of Darkness.
In Angel of Darkness Lara can get killed by the guard on the balcony,
get malled by a dog, etc but she also gives helpful comments and
suggestions to the player that this or that would be a good idea or
not be a good idea.  For example, if you get to near to the dog in the
alley she might say, "I better not get to close to that dog. Maybe I
should find another way."  On the balcony when you get to close to the
gard Lara will sush the player, and explain how to use stealth mode to
sneek upon the gard and knock him out. She explains how to peak around
corners and so on. Basically, it doesn't stop you from screwing up,
but will give you helpful hints and advice how to do it without
getting into much trouble. You see how that works?