Hi Dark,
that's a situation I'm quite familiar with. As it happens I have a
number of video game emulators on the family PC, one of them is
Stella, and my son likes the Atari 2600 games like Pac-Man, Space
Invaders,  Galaxian, etc because the games are fairly easy to play and
the graphics are easy to see. As you pointed out many of the retro
remakes or new games have such high end graphics that my son has a
difficult time figuring out what to do in them. So for him some of the
NES and Atari games are more his speed so to speak.
As it happens I still have my original NES console and my son can play
for hours at a game like Duck Hunt which I personally find a bit dull,
but he loves blasting away at ducks for hours on end.  He also likes
Mario, but he usually doesn't get very far. He still has problems with
the jumps.