Hi Hayden,
Not necessarily. I can think of ways of introducing multiplayer
features into both Shades of Doom and Tank Commander.
For example, in GTC even though you control one tank for the first
five levels once you get to level six you control six tanks although
five of them are more or less A.I. controlled other than you giving
them commands where to go etc. I would imagine a multiplayer version
could be like that where you have one main tank to control and five
other A.I. type tanks on your side you can command. That way it
wouldn't be a one on one battle per say.
As for Shades of Doom I imagine you could do the same thing as other
online FPS type games were each player has a hero character.  Instead
of fighting each other they could do joint games with them fighting
the monsters in the lab. They either could take turns clearing out
rooms of monsters, or both rush in guns blazing and take out the
monsters together presenting the monsters with multiple targets thus
splitting their forces between you.
A place where this would come in handy is like the button room in area
3. That room is usually full of mutant humans and cyborgs, and
sometimes a mutant dog as well. In cases like that when faced with
five or six enemies in one room two players is better than one.