Hi Charles,
As far as I know there isn't a section in the manual that describes
each monster, item, and so on in detail. I just happen to know what a
temperal disturbance is because of my many years reading science
fiction books and watching science fiction television shows like Star
Trek. I imagine the unfamiliarity people have with the temperal
disturbance is that a lot of the gamers here just aren't well versed
in science fiction concepts.
As to why the temperal disturbance moves around I have no idea why it
does that.  Although, I imagine it has to do with the fact it makes it
more challenging.  If this were a science fiction book or television
show locking it in a room wouldn't work because it would simply pass
through what ever surface was in the way transporting it to another
time and place.