To: "Gamers Discussion list" <gamers@audyssey.org>
Sent: Monday, June 07, 2010 7:54 PM
Subject: Re: [Audyssey] accessible game companies with offices

Hi,
Well, before my wife and I moved into our current apartment we had a
spare bed room which we used as a home office. Since I work from home
that really turned out to be a good setup. We had a couple of desks in
there with a couple of desktop PC's in there, book cases,  filing
cabinates, etc. For a while you could say that was the USAGames main
office as well as any other jobs I might be doing at the time such as
contract jobs.
However, after my wife and I moved we ended up living in smaller
acomidations. One of the desktops ended up going out to the living
room where it got turned into a family PC with games, mp3s, audio
books, and similar content. It really is not used for work per say
although I do use it for testing my game releases on since it is the
only PC in the house with XP still on it.  The other desktop a newer
PC with the Intel Pentium 2.8 processor is in our bed room. You could
say that room has been split up into a bed room on one side of the
room and a sort of home office on the other.  That PC has a multiboot
with Windows 7 and Ubuntu Linux 10 on it so I can work in either
operating system environment as needed. However, while that use to be
my main PC it really isn't the case any more.
After Esther and I moved we pretty much decided in order to save space
we would begin using laptops more. So in early 2008 we purchased two
new laptops,  which i recently updated to Windows 7, and as a result
my Compaq notebook has become my main computer. So in a very real
sense wherever I go the USAGames office goes with me, because all of
the source code is on that laptop. Most of the time I work on the
games from there and test the games on either one of the desktops
before release. So I think that is the advantage of laptops and a lot
of publicly available wi-fi internet access. You can pretty much take
your office with you regardless where you are at, and running a mostly
web based business from a portable notebook computer is pretty easy.

Hi Lori,
Well, I do have an office but it is our spare bedroom with computers and
desks for me and my wife.
And the dogs have pillows on the floor as they like to sleep under the desks
while we are in the room.
We had two HP vista computers that we got as the last of the 32 bit systems
were on sale.
And we have a 500 GB backup USB hard drive that only cost $100.
I was thinking of offices outside the house where you have to travel to get
to work.
Phil