To: "Gamers Discussion list" <gamers@audyssey.org>
Sent: Monday, June 07, 2010 8:36 PM
Subject: Re: [Audyssey] accessible game companies with offices

Hi Dark,
Right. Regardless of what Nintendo's motivation was or wasn't in
creating the Sound Voyager games  we really can not expect them to
take us very seriously. At least not until it really begins hurting
them financially.
Recently I read the white paper 7128 has on their web site on exactly
how much money mainstream and independant game companies stand to lose
if they don't start making their games accessible to their aging
customers. While I think Elinor and Steffany did a good job on the
paper, made some very convincing arguments, I'm afraid the mainstream
companies won't  listen until it is too late, and they have a bunch of
elderly gamers wanting to play the latest game releases. By then
they'll have to add some sort of accessibility and my guess is as
usual accessibility will come in the form of some half-baked solution.
It will be there, but not as good as it could have been if they spent
time fully researching and testing the problem. However, that really
isn't the big picture.
I'm not so much affended by the fact APH put out some lame accessible
games, but by the fact they came out with something that has been done
before and tried to initially market it under the false assumption
that what they are doing is revolutionary technology.  A simple google
search would have turned up games like DynaMan, Aliens in the Outback,
Troopenum, Hunter, Shades of Doom, etc. That alone would have probably
gave the APH developers a better idea of what is and isn't out there,
and their sales people may have at least tried to sell their games at
competative prices.  Instead they jumped into the market assuming this
or that was true and I wonder how much money they really made off
their games. I for one felt they were too high, more or less like what
I already owned, and there, "this is revolutionary," attitude just
rubbed me the wrong way.
What I'm getting at, though, is I wonder how many mainstream or
indipendant developers will take  the same attitude the moment they
begin creating games more accessible.  I know enough about marketing
to know that they'll put a spin on it that will make it sound like
company x has a new, revolutionary, special design to make games more
accessible for the blind regardless if the game is very simplistic
compared to existing accessible games.  When in reality those of us
who are currently making accessible games probibly initially came up
with those ideas to begin with.  It would be nice to get some credit
from these companies and organizations rather than being treated as
though our research into this field  never existed. As you said having
our existance denied is as bad as if not worse than being treated like
an idiot.