Hi Miss Wings,
There are a number of torches hanging on the walls in various rooms of
the game. If Angela says "It is dark in here" or "I need a light" that
means she has entered a dark room and requires a torch to see items
better. You can easily view the room you are in by using the v
command.
As far as lives goes Angela only gets one life per game.  However
registered users can make as many saves as they need so that isn't a
big problem.

HTH