To: "Gamers Discussion list" <gamers@audyssey.org>
Sent: Saturday, June 12, 2010 11:20 PM
Subject: [Audyssey] Game Modding was StarTrek Games

Hi Charles,
Yes, and there is another more serious issue here to consider.  With
copyrights involved some game mods might not be strictly legal since I
figure the average gamer out there isn't too particular about what
copyrights are attatched to sounds, music, and game characters, etc.
They may accidently create a mod that would result in the creator of
said game to get in trouble if not themselves as well for ripping the
sounds and music in the first place.
For instance it is a well known fact Mysteries of the Ancients was
written in the style and spirit of Tomb Raider. No doubt about it. It
could be easily modded with official Tomb Raider sounds and music
essentially turning it into an unofficial accessible Tomb Raider game.
I've actually done that myself. However, such a mod released to the
public  could result in fines being served up for copyright
infringement. That's not exactly something anyone really wants here.

If I were able to change your game into one that I like better, changing the characters, theme, music, and whatever else I liked better, and then someone got a copy of your modified game, thinking that it was your creation, they might not buy anything more from you because the did not like what you had
produced.  That would be totally bogus!  A lot of gamers base future
purchases on prior work, and this might hurt your business. Even if I put disclaimers with my modifications, they still might unfairly judge you on my
modifying.