Hi charles,
That would seam to me to be common sense. That's actually how I
learned to be an expert player at Shades of Doom, Tank Commander, etc.
I started out playing the "Can I Play Daddy" level and eventually
after I beat each difficulty level in turn I worked my way up to the
"Today is a Good Day to Die" level. Even now I don't always beat the
games at that level of play, but I love  a good challenge. I used the
easier difficulty levels as practice before tackling something much
harder.

Smile.