Hi Ron,
Well, it depends on the type of chasm.  Keep in mind the measurements
check the distance from the center of a fire, chasm, lava pit,
whatever so it is all relative to how big the trap is.
In this case there are two kinds of chasms small chasms and large
chasms. I need to know which chasm it is to help you. If it is a
standard small chasm like those on level 1 then when you are on a
ledge there is about a half a meter between you and the center of the
chasm so it can easily be jumped across and thus is 0 meters to the
center. If it is a large chasm like the one on level 2 then there is
no way you can jump across it. You have to locate a hidden pressure
switch which lowers a drawbridge to get over it.

HTH