Hi,
As you say a lot depends on exactly the type of game that is going to
be created. However, making a game web based actually would make
matters worse not better as it is harder to incorperate accessibility
features into the program. Here is a simple example of what I mean.
With a language like Java you can create web applets, an applet type
game, and incorperate it into a web page. That's fine as far as it
goes but the problem here is that the Java applet package only offers
extremely simple audio output like load, play, and stop sounds. Hardly
what we would want if we need to create an audio environment where we
needs sounds panned left or right, change the volume based on
distance, etc. In that case creating the program as a web applet
becomes an accessibility hazard instead of a help. The only solution
is to create it as a stand alone game and use a more advanced audio
API like the javax sound package which has the ability to pan sounds,
change volume, and a bunch of other more advanced sound goodies. Make
sense?