That's true that we are a group of people who has been shunned by most
companies for one reason or another, but I as well learn, am able to fit in
with, and get a good understanding from the sighted community

-----Original Message-----
From: gamers-boun...@audyssey.org [mailto:gamers-boun...@audyssey.org] On
Behalf Of David Chittenden
Sent: 10 July 2010 00:34
To: Gamers Discussion list
Subject: Re: [Audyssey] Tomb Hunter Error

Hello,

After reading the past few messages on this subject, I have decided to
respond with some answers we never like to hear.

1) The total population of legally blind people in the US is 0.6% of the
US population. This includes everyone with up to 20/200 vision. The
total population of blind people in the world is just over 35 million,
or about 0.6% of the total world population. This means, we are an
extremely small group of people. There are more people using the least
common computer OS than there are visually impaired people.

Because we are such a tiny minority, it falls squarely upon us to adapt
ourselves to the sighted world. The fact that companies do a little bit
to help us is great, but there is virtually no profit in it for them. We
can choose to stay behind at whatever point we are comfortable with,
just like anybody else. That said, as has been pointed out, companies
are in business to make money. In order to do this successfully, they
must constantly give at least the appearance of innovating or the
competition will take their place.

I, for one, choose to continuously learn, grow, and adapt to the new and
ever-shifting paradigm of the modern technology world. This way, I can
keep myself marketable and employable. Also, it allows me to continue
enjoying the latest games which come out.

As to the classic start menu which, apparently, primarily only blind
people prefer, I actually don't like it. I find it to be way too
limiting. And, before you ask, I started as a DOS power user. I much
prefer the simplicity of point and click (pressing the alt key, arrowing
to the menu I need, and arrowing to my choice) over constantly needing
to remember esoteric commands.

I will soon be switching to the iPhone 4 because it has a touch-screen,
so there are even less esoteric commands which I need to remember. I
just needed to learn the new interface, and I did that over the past
year through regularly borrowing my former flatmate's iPhone 3GS. I will
switch to the MacBook and its touch pad interface for the same reason. I
made the decision a long time ago to, as much as possible, learn to use
and become proficient with sighted technology interfaces whenever
possible so that I can keep my costs lower while interfacing with my
sighted peers and friends in ways which are most convenient for them.
After all, I am the one who, by nature of being blind, is different, so
must fit in if I want to associate with the chosen group that is the
majority.

David Chittenden, MSc, CRC, MRCAA
Email: dchitten...@gmail.com