I agree about the footstep volume, and in fact I have made a related comment about number of squares on audiogames.net, sinse it'd be nice to have some score or statistics at the end of the game to know how well each player did rather than just a symple win or loss.

I'm afraid I don't agree about the rocks though, I find the two sound affects completely fine myself. In addition to the pitch shifting, Your rocks make a continuous grinding sound, while your opponent's make a broken grinding sound almost like a set of ticks, which is more than enough.

Actually, I think having your opponent's rocks go from lowest to highest pitch would slightly upset some of the feeling of the game, sinse the lowering pitch denotes the rock scraping down a section of wall, which effect you wouldn't get with a raising pitch (unless of course the rocks float upwards ;D).

As to limiting rocks and power ups, I'm not certain. The rock chucking frequency is already pretty limiting in itself, as is the need to defend your wall, ---- and I'm not precisely sure how bonus items would work, particularly in terms of game balance.

Beware the Grue!