Sounds like outlining is a great idea?

---
Shepherds are the best beasts!
To: "Gamers Discussion list" <gamers@audyssey.org>
Sent: Sunday, July 18, 2010 9:23 AM
Subject: Re: [Audyssey] Discussing game ideas

Hi Milos,
I think what you are encountering is a case of writers block. You have
a great idea, but after you begin writing you aren’t sure how to write
it or create the kind of game you imagine. You unconsciously forget
where you were going with it as you are so mentally focused on the
programming aspect of it. Yes, this has happened to me, and I have a
solution for that kind of problem.
Before you program anything if you have a good idea write it down. I’m
serious write the game idea down describe the characters, weapons,
story, whatever you can think of. Then, when you begin programming you
don’t have to try and think about all that information as it is
written down. In fairly good detail already. You just need to convert
that story or idea into some playable format.

HTH