On Jul 27, 2010, at 8:14 PM, Thomas Ward wrote:

If you wouldn't mind I'd be happy to create a Chopper Patrol clone
written in C++ using SDL rather than SFML. As SDL is cross-platform
too I think it would demonstrate both our aims but give potential
cross-platform developers another option or alternative to SFML with
some useful source code. What do you think?

Actually, I think this would be an excellent idea, by all means, give potential
developers as many options as possible.  Show them there's more than one way to
build cross-platform games that takes nothing away from their initial
development process.
Also, point out that although sdl comes preinstalled on a lot of linux boxes,
sfml comes preinstalled on osx, so both options are definitely worth checking
out.

I agree with your assessment about sfml, and a lot of folks feel that way, but
after all, the S in sfml does stand for simple, so it's understandable that
some things may not be doable.  I will raise the question on the sfml-dev
forums though, and see if anyone has any suggestions on how to handle multiple
buffer reassigning with buffer freeing.  It's possible it can be done with some
non-public functions.  I've not scanned all the sfml code, so it's possible
such a thing does exist, but just isn't in the oficial documentation.