I have actually noticed that myself with respect to wav files vs og, though far less for mp3's.

Beware the Grue!

To: "Gamers Discussion list" <gamers@audyssey.org>
Sent: Tuesday, October 05, 2010 2:43 AM
Subject: Re: [Audyssey] mota download size

Hi Hayden,
Well, personally I do notice some reduction in quality. It is very
slight, but it takes some of the pitch out of the sounds, and it isn't
quite as sharp/clear as a *.wav file. I suppose the fact I am a
musician, am use to listening to tone and pitch, something like that
is more apparent to me than a lay person.
At any rate it isn't just audio quality. I also decided to go with
*.wav files for the simple fact if I use any type of compression
weather it be ogg, wma, wav, or xwma, whatever your program has to
decompress all those files during runtime, such as when loading a new
level, and therefore it is slower in loading the game levels, loading
voice messages, whatever. It isn't too noticable on a new duel core
system, but on an older  1 GHZ system, i happen to have laying around,
it took quite a long time to decompress those sounds in real time.

Hi Thomas,
Although it seems that you have made up your mind, I shall put my 1 asnd a half cents into the conversation, and say that I saw no reduction of quality
in your Ogg vorbus compression, and you might as well go for the smallest
size possible.

Best Regards,
Hayden