Hi Ryan,
Actually, Inno Setup, the Windows setup program i use, has its own
built-in compression which is pretty good. It cut the install down
from close to 350 MB to around 170 MB which is fairly good. I'm afraid
you can't get much better than that for compression.
As for the Linux side I'm still looking for the best compression
format. I used gzip this time, but found out its compression ratio
isn't very good. I'm going to look at bz2 as well as a couple of other
options and see if I can shave off some of the file ssize off the
Linux install. Instead of 245 MB maybe knock it down to 225 MB or
something like that. Every little bit helps I guess.

Cheers!