Hi Chastity,
Well, those are definitely some interesting and good suggestions.
Although, there are some of the games you suggested already out there.
I know that Azobat software has a Checkeras/Drafts game as well as
Backgammon.
As for creating a Super Mario clone goes the developer would have to
be careful in developing that game. I know that Nintendo is extremely
pretective over there copyrights, but there have been retro remakes
made that are like Mario. One memorable retro game similar to Mario
that comes to mind is Super Tux.
Although, it isn't accessible for us to play Super Tux is a free game
for Linux that features the Linux pengwuine, Tux, in a side-scroller
that is quite a lot like Mario. I've thought about grabbing the Super
Tux source code and producing an accessible version of it for us to
play. That would be close as we could get without over stepping the
copyright bounds.
As for Oregon Trail I use to love that game. That was definitely one
of my favorite text adventures back in the day. As it happens I do
have the original source code for it, and  have had thoughts of
converting it from Apple Basic to  C++.