Hi Thomas,

Actually there was no such thing as an accessible live action audio dos game
for us.  All though David Greenwood and PCS Games tried and emulated it pretty
good, like with Cops and Robbers.  The thing is, we had no Basic wave file
playing code.  So to play a wave file we would use the Basic shell command to
use an external wave file player program.  Of course though with this method
the game was totally suspended while the wave file was being played.  But in
Windows with DirectX and sapi5 they have the ability to play a wave file and
speak in an asynchronous manner.  So unlike the dos games the program can
continue and can do calculations, get keyboard or joystick input, play another
wave file, stop speech and start new speech etc.  In dos none of that could
happen while the game was shelled out to play the wave file.

I could be wrong, but I believe that David created Shades of Doom before he
converted Lone Wolf to a windows version.

TGIF and BFN