Hi Jim,
Good point. Yes, I remember how difficult it was to play a sound under
Dos. In fact, I had the very same issue under Linux before they began
developing APIs like SDL, SFML, OpenGL, and OpenAL which provided
better means for handling input, audio, graphics, etc.
For example, I can remember around 1998 or 1999 when I was learning
C++ at Wright State I decided to write a few simple card and board
games for Linux. As you pointed out there was nothing like DirectX
available so I'd have to do something like
system ("play shuffle.wav");
which basicly executed the Sox play shell command and told it which
wav file to play. It only allowed me to play one wav file at a time so
was only good for simple games like Blackjack, Poker, Uno, Monopoly,
or something like that. True real time action games weren't possible
on Linux until SDL and other APIs came along a few years later.
Anyway, I'm pretty sure David Greenwood ported lone Wolf to Windows
before Shades of Doom because I purchased Lone Wolf while Shades of
Doom was still in alpha. At that time Lone Wolf 2.0 was already out,
was rreleased, while Shades of Doom was still under development.
However, David Greenwood had talked about the idea of making a Doom
clone clear back as early as 99, but didn't get it done until around
late 2000 or maybe early 2001.  Perhaps you are thinking of that?

Cheers!