Hi Shaun,

A few comments if I may.

First, if you don't have the right equipment your sound
card/headphones aren't going to render the sound correctly. After all,
you are trying to render a full virtual 3d audio environment with 2d
only equipment. That isn't exactly going to work.

Second, DirectSound's audio rendering is out of date. It was designed
for Windows 95 and 98 era sound cards and technology. It can only
support 4.1 surround sound which is pretty lame. XAudio2 has both 5.1
and 7.1 surround sound support, and is really what is required for a
modern Windows system running say an Audegy IV or SoundBlaster X-Fi.
For Mac OS and Linux OpenAL offers similar support as XAudio2. So
let's face it DirectSound is ancient history.

Smile.