Hi Thomas,
I am not sure why you can not have random monsters and specific monsters.
The skeletons and other low level monsters should be random and show up everywhere and on all levels. But then you should have another specific monster class that shows up only where and when you decide. In the Sarah game, I decide which monsters show up on each level and how many of them. Then I also adjust the number and type plus adjusting their capabilities before the level starts depending on your difficulty setting.

Phil