Hi Charles,

Sad but true. I think one of the reasons commercials were better back
in the early days of television is simply because the major television
networks CBS, NBC, ABC, etc gave each company a 30 second time slot to
say there piece and be done with it. They'd stick maybe three or four
commercials into a comercial break and get back to the programming.
For that reason an hour long show ended up being 55 or 56 minutes long
with only four or five minutes left over for commercials. With such a
short time slot companies had to get really creative about what they
said and did in that 30 seconds of promotional time. Something like
"the best part of waking up is Foldgers in your cup" or "I'd like to
buy the world a Coke and keep it company" sticks in your mind the way
modern commercials don't. They always left you a sense of excitement
and joy about the product they were selling.

For example, I can remember being about three or four years old, and
there was this Coke commercial where everyone was dancing on the
screen to the music. No matter what I was doing I'd get up and dance
to the music and try and imitate the dancers on the screen. As I
recall the words went something like "The stars will always shine and
the birds will always sing as long as you got the real thing. Always
Coca-Cola."

That's not quite right, but close enough. The thing was the music and
commercial was interesting enough to draw me away from whatever I was
doing eating, playing, etc to watch that particular commercial. Now,
days I could care less what comercials are on. I usually leave the
room to do something else rather than watch the comercials because
most are pretty boring.

Part of that is that the networks, always interested in getting more
money, give us less programming and more commercials. Most of the
commercials are 60 seconds long or longer giving the companies more
chance to talk about the product, and to make longer skits. The only
problem is with there new approach is I usually don't remember what
the commercial was about by the time the commercial break is over.
There wasn't anything that really captured my attention. Lol!

Cheers!