Hi Tom,

Yeah, I definitely understand where you were coming from. For example,
yesterday afternoon I was writing up descriptions in Windows Notepad
and so I tried to describe a diamond. I know what one looks like in my
head, but trying to describe it in words is harder than it looks. If
someone were to ask me what color are diamonds I'd have to reply they
are usually opaque. Anyone who could see would probably know what I'm
talking about. It is not clear, kind of foggy, but it doesn't have any
color either. It is sort of semi-clear. I began to realise right then
what I'm thinking isn't very practical for a totally blind gamer.

The entire premise of writing up descriptions of things is to give
someone a visual image of what Angela is looking at. Size, color,
shape, etc. All or most of it assumes the person knows what colors
are. However, someone blind from birth thinks of the world differently
like size, shape, weight, texture, smell, etc. Basically, anything
they can touch or smell not what something looks like to the naked
eye. Since being blind is more or less a new thing for me I still
think more in sighted terms and only default to touch and smell if and
when I think the verble description fails to give me a clear idea of
what something looks like visually.

I think that this is a big difference in perception. I'm trying to
climb my way back to being sighted by adding textual descriptions to
this, that, and the other thing that is meaningful to me personally.
Problem is I want a description that draws a visual image of the item
Angela's looking at. I wouldn't be as keen on reading a description
that is from the perspective of it feels like this, smells like that,
sounds like this, because what I'm after is color, weather or not it
is shiny or dull, etc. Those are visual concepts.

That's not to say descriptions aren't useful to a blind gamer though.
For example, when I think of Greek gold coins I can easily remember
seeing a gold coin from around 450 B.C. with the face of Athena on one
side and the image of an owl on the other. It was a beautiful coin,
and there are plenty of those in private collections. However, even
though that description wouldn't help a blind person see it, per say,
it might give them an idea of how ancient coins were made around the
time Athens was experimenting with democracy. It makes the gold coins
in the game a little more historical than just being a faceless,
nameless, gold coin. It uses an actual historical coin to add
historical depth to the game.

Cheers!