Hi Tom.

Well that is true reguarding the carelessness of developers, but even in games which had a very good review score I often found myself frustrated by guess the verb puzles like that, which is the reason for my concern.

Certainly though I've seen menue driven conversations where you choose from a list of responses what your character says and these have very well driven some of my favourite games like Emily short's game Pytho's mask (one I highly recommend actually tom), and the earth and sky series.

Also, i do wonder how successful a standard if language would be for handling such things as hitpoint tracking and combat, particuloarly if you want to insert such things as learnable combat techniques spells, treasure which boosts stats and the like.

Some implementations of combat I've sen in if games, ---- such as in shaddowland has proved rather buggy and randomized, particularly when for instance, the enemy attacks you when you mistype a command or try a command the game doesn't recognized (most frustrating for someone like me who tends to try of different actions in combat than just the standard attack attack attack).

Beware the Grue!