Hi,
There are a variety of places to play on the Web and via email.  I didn't have
any one in particular in mind, but for instance there is www.diplom.org/dpjudge
My problem with the web interfaces, in general, is that the maps tend to be
graphical.  They might not be absolutely essential for play, but are still
important.
Also, I probably should tell people on here a bit more about the game in
general.
Diplomacy is a game which is set around the year 1900 or so.  Seven players
take on the role of the seven "great powers" of Europe around that time, and
try to dominate the map, which consists of a somewhat stylized version of
Europe and parts of Africa.  The actual game mechanics are quite simple, as the
heart of the game is the aforementioned diplomacy.  It's almost impossible for
any of the great powers to win alone, so the players have to negotiate and form
alliances amongst one another.  Betrayal and double dealing is a pretty common
strategy, and everybody has to watch their back.  It's this diplomatic aspect
which I find most intriguing.
THis game is suited to email or web play mostly because of these negotiations.
Turns might last from one every couple days to once or twice a week, depending
on game speed.  It isn't really a fast-pcaced game, and there's no random
chance involved.
So...  If we can find a suitable site, I'd be interested in setting something
up.  Mr. Bartlet?  This would seem to be right up your alley...
Best,
Zack.